PhD positions in the SAR Laboratory
The Synthetic Aperture Radar Lab at the University of Houston and the Radar Science group at the German Aerospace Center (DLR), Microwaves and Radar Institute invite applications from highly motivated students for graduate research in the broad area of Synthetic Aperture Radar Electrical Engineering and Big Data applications. Research will be highly interdisciplinary, at the intersection of signal processing, geophysics, computer science and civil engineering.
Topics of interest
- Interferometric big data processing
- SAR Applications to surface deformation change
- Machine learning for biomass monitoring applications
- SAR constellations for natural hazard response
- Remote sensing of the cryosphere
- Landslide dynamics
- Multi-temporal time-series analysis
- Machine learning applied to SAR products
- Bachelor/Master in Electrical or Telecommunication Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or related
- Excellent programming skills (Python/Matlab/C)
- Strong foundation in linear algebra, signal processing and estimation theory
- Research experience in remote sensing, synthetic aperture RADAR, InSAR or machine learning
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of the English language
Application statements should directly address the applicant’s programming experience (may include links to reports or github repositories if any). Additionally, prior research experience in the aforementioned or similar topics, or any relevant research in synthetic aperture radar should be articulated in the application.
Admission is highly competitive but successful PhD applicants will receive full tuition support and stipend for the duration of their study through research and teaching assistantships. Full applications may be submitted at http://www.cive.uh.edu/admissions/civil-engineering/application-forms. We have one opening as early as Fall 2022 and into Spring 2023/Fall 2023.
I get a large number of applicant emails and it is sometimes difficult for me to respond to all of them given the limited time. To express your interest in the open positions before submitting a full application, students are encouraged to fill out this optional pre-application interest form. https://forms.gle/7en1EEkNtLVqjSAf7 (details basic information, relevant experience, and career objectives). If you are unable to access this form or don’t wish to fill it, you may also email me copy of your CV and Cover letter with the subject starting with “Prospective Graduate Student”. You can download a PDF copy of the pre-application interest form here for your reference.
For further inquiries, please email Dr. Pietro Milillo (pmilillo -at- central.uh.edu).
You can download the ad for PhD Positions here.